Boris Johnson warned he faces ONE huge obstacle to lock down no deal Brexit preparations

BORIS JOHNSON has been warned he faces one huge obstacle before the British Government is able to completely lock down preparations for a no deal Brexit scenario before October 31.

was told the British Government is running out of time to lay down the preparation needed to ensure a no deal does not disrupt traffic between the UK and the continent. The Treasury last month announced they will inject an extra £2.1billion in the war chest set aside for contingency plans to leave the without a formal agreement. But Richard Burnett from the (RHA) insisted the Government could still face one large impediment to Britain enjoying a smooth withdrawal from the bloc.

Speaking to Express.co.uk shortly after the new funding was announced, Mr Burnett said: "The devil is in the detail and I think it’s too early to say if that money is sufficient. There are enormous challenges just in terms of time, being able to gear up in readiness for no deal.

"The biggest issue is genuinely time to get businesses ready. If you think about what’s required, we’ve got something like 250,000 businesses that need to register for an but they also need to be able to train the individuals within their businesses to be able to carry out the relevant customs documentation."

The EORI number is an identification code which allows businesses to trade freely within the European Union. The number will also be required to ensure businesses can apply for early customs clearance ahead of hauliers travelling to ports.

Mr Burnett also warned the number of customs agents currently capable of undertaking the expected to burden businesses after Brexit had decreased significantly since the UK had joined the bloc – urging the Government for training for extra agents. 

Brexit news - Boris Johnson

Brexit news: Boris Johnson has been warned experts need to be trained to handle the bureaucracy (Image: GETTY)

Brexit news - Lorries queue on M20

Brexit news: Burnett warned time is going to be an issue for the Government (Image: GETTY)

We’re saying if you haven’t got the right paperwork, don’t come

Richard Burnett

He continued: "What we’ve been saying for some time is we have got no clarity on what the process is but once we have, how on Earth do we get businesses up to speed fast enough?

"Going back to prior to the , there were 500 customs agents companies in Dover for a million loads that were being moved back then, we’ve now got four and a half million loads a year and we’ve effectively got 15 customs agents companies that have got the skills, experience and knowledge to be able to fill out the correct paperwork.

"We’re saying if you haven’t got the right paperwork, don’t come. If you do come, you won’t be allowed to get onto a ferry or train to get to Europe."

According to the , road haulage is the dominant mode of transport for traded good from the UK to and from the European Union, with an approximate 3.7 million tonnes of goods exported to the continent and 4.2 million tonnes brought back in 2017.

Brexit news - Boris Johnson

Brexit news: Johnson put aside an extra £2.1 billion for no deal preparations (Image: GETTY)

The growing possibility of a no deal Brexit has sparked concerns among businesses on the preparations the British Government has been thrashing out to ensure a smooth transition our of the EU.

Chancellor announced extra money would be set aside to help prepare for a hard Brexit through the upgrade of ports' infrastructure and the addition of an extra 500 members to the .

More money has also been funneled to , the plan the Government has devised to cope with potential traffic chaos near the Kent ports of and after Brexit. 

Brock was designed to substitute , a system created to maintain smooth traffic during Eurotunnel or ferry disruptions in Kent by way of converting a stretch of the into a parking lot for lorries while local traffic is diverted on alternative routes.

DON'T MISS:



Brexit news - lorries in folkenstone

Brexit news: Haulage is the dominant way of transporting goods from the UK to the EU (Image: GETTY)

Over the summer of 2015, Kent was overcome with 30 miles of lorries parked on the M20 as they queued to reach Dover at a cost of £250 million for the UK.

Dover Harbour Board CEO Doug Bannister in April insisted the port would be ready to handle the effects of a no deal Brexit, insisting that "preparation is the key."

In a statement released shortly after the first Brexit extension, Mr Bannister said: "Beyond the existing close co-operation with the port and its ferry partners, it will be essential that the UK government and its agencies, as well as the European Union and its member states, expedite the provision of information to the logistics community in order that it has what it needs to plan for, and prepare, the required documentation in advance of lorries arriving at ports."

After the Brexit deadline was further postponed until October 31, announced they were "standing down" work on Operation Brock, the £15 million process to create a contraflow system on the M20 from Folkestone to help ease potential disruption.

If activated, Operation Brock would two lanes of the M20 between London and Dover open, unlike Government’s longstanding Operation Stack programme that brought the South East traffic into chaos.